Windows is the most used operating system on PCs which Microsoft Corporation releases. However, do you know you need to activate windows before you can personalize your PC? People care about it when they want to adjust the computer according to their desire.
This article will answer the above question, what personalization features are and how to activate them. Stay on reading for more details!
Table of contents
- Why Do You Need To Activate Windows Before You Can Personalize Your PC?
- What Happens If You Do Not Want Active Windows?
- How Limited Will Your Personalized PC Be?
- What Should You Do To Activate It?
Why Do You Need To Activate Windows Before You Can Personalize Your PC?
As the most popular operating system globally, Windows gradually became the victim of copyright violation. Microsoft forces users to activate it; they may have permission to personalize PC features.
That is, users can still use it and other functions. They cannot customize their PC as they wish. It is almost the only difference between activated or unactivated Windows.
What Happens If You Do Not Want Active Windows?
You will have a 30-day free trial when installing a new operating system. Your actions during this time will not be limited, including customized PCs.
However, after 30 days of experience, you are required to activate it. It means that you must buy the operating system license. Otherwise, what you customize will disappear, and your PC will display the original settings. Specifically as:
- “Active Windows” watermark is in the bottom right corner
- Microsoft sends messages and notifications in settings to push you active
- You can not personalize your PC, such as background, theme, colors, etc. These features change into gray color.
- Some features and apps will stop working, such as local experience or language packs.
How Limited Will Your Personalized PC Be?
When the licensed operating system is not started, the features in the Personalization section settings will be disabled. These features will help you customize your PC according to your preferences. These include:
Microsoft Store offers hundreds of free themes for users who have activated its operating system. They are a combination of sounds, colors, and images according to each theme, such as Christmas, Animals, Universal, Nature, etc.
Besides, the feature extends across two screens and shows the theme on the start screen. However, if you are not active, you cannot use them.
Desktop Backgrounds & Lock Screen
The official version will allow users to change the lock screen and wallpaper to their liking. You can choose an available image or download it to change.
In addition, with the lock screen, you can choose to display the quick status of some available or downloaded apps. You can also install additional screen timeout and screensaver for your computer.
Font & Accent Colors
Accent colors are a feature that changes colors for window title bars and borders, taskbar, and Start button. Users can choose from available colors or create their own in the system’s palette. You can also choose light or dark mode for the app and window default.
Similarly, you can choose fonts available in the system, download or use free fonts on the Microsoft Store. This feature also allows you to filter fonts depending on the language.
When customizing the taskbar, you can change the icons and notifications from the size, position where they appear, or hide them. The taskbar’s position can also change in 4 screen orientations and hide/show as needed.
What Should You Do To Activate It?
Checking Your Activation Status
It is the first step to check if Windows is activated and associated with a Microsoft account. Linking accounts will assist in troubleshooting whenever your hardware fails.
To check status, you should follow these steps: Start button > Settings > Update & Security > Activation. The activation status is next to Activation, and it may be “Windows is…” with the below lines:
- activated with a digital license
- activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account
- not activated
Choosing A Method Of Activation
Depending on how you first connected to the operating system, you can choose one of two ways to reactivate it:
- Digital license: linked to your hardware and your Microsoft account. When you sign in to your Microsoft account with an internet connection, it will automatically update or activate.
- Product key: at the Activation step, select Update product key > Change product key. It is a 25-character code available on the card when you buy the license, or you can contact the person who installed it for you.
So you already know why you need to activate windows before you can personalize your PC. This action does not affect your work; however, it is necessary to assert your sovereignty over the device.
When booted, the system allows you to adjust all features in the Personalization section, including themes, backgrounds, lock screens, etc. After checking active status, there are two ways to activate it: digital license or product key.